Wednesday, September 22, 2010

routine?!?

When I was in Australia I complained because we never had routine, and were living out of our backpacks. And now that I have routine and a closet, I'm getting bored! Typical, I'm never happy!
That isn't really true as I am happy, but it is taking some adjusting getting back into, what I call, 'the real world'!
I have been able to get shifts at the hospital, and I am just finishing up orientation on a second orthopedic unit, but it is hard adjusting to all the different shifts. In the past 2 weeks, I have worked 5 day shifts, 4 evening shifts - with my 5th tonight, and 2 night shifts. And they all have there negatives. Days are SUPER busy, and I am not keen on the 0530 wake up call, evenings I don't get home till midnight and am not in bed till usually 0130, and nights, well, sleeping during the day can be tough when the phone doesn't stop ringing. Next set of night shifts I will be turning the ringers off on ALL the phones!
But, I can't complain as I am getting a paycheck :)
I did not get the part time night position on day surgery, nor any other positions I have applied for, which sucks, but I just have to keep applying and chugging away hoping that something will come up very soon! I will also consider casual on day surgery as it sounds like there is a lot of changes which will mean I will have a better chance of securing a part time job, one step closer to me moving into my house!
The one nice thing about casual is I can pick and choose my shifts! I can always say no to a shift if I have something planned, but I will try and give myself as close to full time hours as possible. I know it has only been 2 1/2 weeks of working, but I am already close to that goal. My first full paycheck will be October 1st, and bring on the shopping!!! (lets see, new winter jacket, new winter clothes as its been about 2 years since I've had new ones, new scrubs, and putting together my 'blog book' from my australia blog!)

I have been sticking to my goal of running 8-10miles per week, but have mainly been doing it on the treadmill which is totally different then running outside, but I have to start somewhere. It takes me about 28min and 30sec to do 2 miles, and if the weather holds out I will attempt it outside. I am waiting to speak to one of the orthopedic doctors at the hospital to see if I can get in to see him for advice as well. I am still really pumped up about the idea, and the more I talk about it and the more people I tell, the more likely I am to stick with it!

I am still raising money for the Alzheimer's walk October 10th, so donations welcome! Please see post below for the website. My goal is to raise $500, and I am 51% there! Thanks for all that have donated, it is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment