Monday, September 13, 2010

Half Marathon by Spring next year?

After working 4 days in a row last week, which may not seem like much, but its the most I've been on my feet since the injury, my foot wasn't doing too bad. I've stopped using my right foot orthotic and just using the regular insole for the shoe, and it seems OK. I do need to see a podietrist though, and I will be booking in to see one as soon as I get a position and benefits!

Last weekend when we were camping, we realized that we forgot something in the truck, so I went back to get it, and I realized that I was jogging back to the truck, and wasn't having any more pains in my foot then regular walking. So after these last work shifts without much problem, just a generalized ache, I decided to get on the treadmill and see how things went. I ran for 20 minutes Monday, well, it was more of a jog, and another 20 minutes Tuesday, and the most that hurt was my right leg muscles, not so much my foot.

I have always enjoyed running and participated in track during school and have done one 10km run, but that was ages ago. I have now decided to set a goal for myself and aim to do a half marathon by the spring time, which will be my one year anniversay of breaking my foot. There are some in November that I could aim for, but I think I need to start back into running consistently and seeing a podietrist before pushing myself to run 20km's in less then 2 months time! So for the next couple of months I will try to get on the treadmill and run 8-10miles per week, and hopefully after christmas and the new year, I can start training for the half marathon. I checked out a training schedule on line and it doesn't seem too bad. Every Saturday would be the big run, starting off with a 3 mile run, and each week it increases by 1 mile until 2 weeks before the half marathon where you run 12 miles. And of course there are 2-3 mile runs during the week, with 1 rest day and 1 'easy' day. Crazy I know, but I really think I can do it!

Plus, I am in a wedding party in February and it is being held in Mexico so its a great way for me to get in shape to look decent in a bikini!

Mom and Dad have a treadmill that I will use for now as its flat and consistent which is what I am worried about with my foot and running outside. Stepping on a rock or accidently rolling my ankle as I am prone to do. The other day I stepped funny on my foot when I bent down to pick something up and somehow hurt my foot, but it only lasted for a minute and it went away. Hopefully once I get a decent orthotic, and maybe an ankle brace for a little extra added support (just not all the time as I don't want to have to rely on one) I can and will start running outside. And when the weather is bad, I have the treadmill as a back up.

I am super pumped about my new goal and hope to stick with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment